Living in the Way of Jesus: A Call to Serve
Every year for the last three years at our Love Fullerton rally, I share with a crowd of 2000+ volunteers from our community the reason I participate. It’s really simple: I believe there is no better way to live life than living in the way of Jesus. The things He cares about are the things I want to care about! This is why I Love Fullerton.
Jesus invites us to join His upside-down kingdom where those who are first are last, and those who have learned to serve are the greatest. Jesus says in Matthew 20:28, “The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many.” The Gospels are filled with examples and stories of Jesus modeling what it means to be a servant.
We asked some of our leaders and volunteers why they give of their time. Here is what they said:
I serve through Love Fullerton because . . .
- “It allows me to meet my neighbors, love my neighbors, and make a difference in my community.”
- “I want the teens we serve to know they are loved and there are people who care about them.”
- “It is a way to get outside of my circle of friends and come alongside people I normally wouldn’t get to know.”
- “There is joy of serving others in Jesus’ name.”
- “I love the mix of people I get to meet. People from all walks of life joining together to make a difference.”
- “It is fascinating to listen to the life stories of people in assisted living facilities.”
- “It gives my family an activity to do together and teaches my kids to give back to their community.”
- “My heart gets fuller when I pour out what is in it.”
- “It gives me a chance to share with people in our community that I serve because of what Jesus has done for me.”
Why participate in the upcoming April 29 Love Your City event? Because it gives you a chance to serve the King and put His agenda first in a fun and unique way. Serving is simply putting others and their needs ahead of our own. It really doesn’t matter what we are doing: painting a school, visiting an elderly person, planting a shrub, playing with kids, listening to a homeless person, or washing a car. Do it in Jesus’ name and participate in His upside-down Kingdom.
Join us and serve at Love Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Fullerton, La Habra, Orange, or Placentia. Sign up at ocunited.org/uniteforcities.